Dr. Perry Kea Guest Speaker on February 10th
Dr. Perry Kea is coming back to Tapestry Sunday, February 10th to talk about “The Historical Jesus and the Church’s Mission”. Jesus of Nazareth was a first century Jew living in Roman occupied Palestine. What might this mean for the contemporary Christian church? Dr. Kea will discuss the mission and message of Jesus against this historical backdrop and will help Tapestry Church begin to explore its own mission in the light of Jesus’. Dr. Kea will speak after both services end. You won't want to miss this exciting speaker!
Dare to Lead
We all lead in different ways throughout our lives. The Dare to Lead book study will help you find the leader in you. We will engage in tough conversations as we work through Brené Brown’s book. You will learn about courage, vulnerability, and presence. Classes are on Wednesday evenings (1/23, 1/30, 2/6, 2/13) at 6:30pm at the Sedgwick Residence. You can sign up on Sunday mornings at the Welcome Table or email Shannon directly (firstname.lastname@example.org). Everyone is responsible for purchasing their own book for this class, workbook pages will be provided.
Effective Parenting in a Defective World: How to Raise Kids Who Stand Out from the Crowd
Our children are facing growing up in a fragmented world, more so than ever before. They are constantly bombarded with the pressures and influences of drugs, sex, violence and negativity. As parents, we feel helpless because every value we try to instill in our kids is contradicted by the corruption and immorality they witness on a daily basis.
This video series hosted by Chip Ingram, pastor and CEO of Living on the Edge ministry, will teach us the skills and principles for successfully parenting as revealed through God's Word. Ingram shares life lessons from his and his wife's personal experiences of raising 4 children, one of whom, Jason, is now a well known composer and performer of Christian music.
Join us each Tuesday evening in February from 7 to 8:30 at Nina Eads' home, to learn principles that will change our understanding of our role as parent and how to apply God's process for teaching and nurturing our children. Class is facilitated by Nina Eads and Paula Peterson.
First Tuesday Fellowship
"God At the Movies"
Rev. Jim Allen, at our February 5th First Tuesday Fellowship, will share how he feels that Hollywood movies (accidentally or by design) present moral or Godly moments. Movie clips will be shown with examples pointed out per clip. Our meeting begins at 11:15 with devotions provided by Vivian Gill. Lunch begins at 11:45!
If you or someone you know is in need of a caring Christian who will listen, encourage and support you confidentially as you journey towards wholeness, then contact our church office to be connected with a Stephen Minister (317) 784-4431. Learn more about Stephen Ministry
Children & Youth
Young people are an integral part of the ministry at Tapestry. Sunday School is offered each week at both services, as well as age appropriate activities and events throughout the year.
Disciples encourage one another in the spiritual disciplines or practices through which we open ourselves to be shaped by God. Those disciplines include prayer, Bible study, worship, stewardship, service, and study of the church's tradition and hospitality to strangers.
- Sunday School for Adults:
- "The Present Word" offered at 8:45 a.m. This is a facilitator led study on people in the Bible.
- "The Bible at 30,000 Feet" offered at 8:45 a.m. This is a DVD study of each book in the Bible.
- Seekers: Middle school youth have the opportunity to learn about what it means to be a member of Tapestry Chuurch, a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a member of the Christian faith. The Seekers class allows an atmosphere of questioning and discernment to prepare participants in their decision to be baptized.
- Disciples II Fast Track study on the book of Exodus will be held on Monday evenings from 6:30-7:45pm on February 4, 11, and 18. For information on either of these classes, please contact the church office (317)784-4431.
- Sunday School classes for pre-school through 5th grade are coordinated so all children learn the same lesson each week. Parents/guardians are sent resources to interact with the lesson during the week.
Serving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth is not just a slogan at Tapestry Church, it is a way of life. Our congregation actively supports a wide range of community, national and global outreach ministries:
- Midwest Food Bank: On the third Tuesday of the month Tapestry Church members and friends go to the food bank to sort, package and stock.
- Habitat for Humanity: This summer, Tapestry Church partnered with Habitat for Humanity in Johnson County. Fifteen volunteers worked on the roof, siding and painting for a new homeowner in Franklin, Indiana. We also provided breakfast and lunch for everyone working on the home.
- Week of Compassion works through a remarkable network of church partner organizations and partnerships that insures that our response to humanitarian needs in the world is efficient, effective and faithful. Through these partnerships, Disciples are able to join a tapestry of caring that brings help and hope to hurting people in every corner of the world. Each February Tapestry Church gives a special offering to support the work of Week of Compassion.
- The Social of Greenwood: Tapestry Church has a tradition of providing bags of groceries and other items to those who struggle to celebrate Thanksgiving. The Monday before Thanksgiving, an entire truck load was delivered to The Social's pantry which helped 40 people.
- KIC-IT: This organization provides a network of support and empowerment for youth to break the cycle of homelessness and promote independence. Tapestry Church donated its entire Christmas Eve offerings to KIC-IT and also donated baby items.
- The Refuge, which is located in Greenwood provides physical, emotional, academic and spiritual needs of Johnson County residents. Tapestry Church donated new toys to help parents provide Christmas gifts to their children.
Musicians of all ages are welcome to participate. We have opportunities available for the young to the young at heart. Vocalists and instrumentalists will find many ways to praise God through music.
Tapestry Adult Choir meets each Wednesday at Christ Our Shepherd Church of the Bretheren at 7:00 p.m.
Tapestry Church Handbell Choir meets each Monday evening at the church office beginning at 6:30 p.m. Contact Karri York, Director of Music for more information.