The Christian Church in Indiana has launched a Mexico Initiative as our next expression of being a Global Mission Church. Our intent over the next two years is to connect Indiana Disciples with Disciples in Mexico and our mission co-workers there. We want to engage in deep conversation about the challenges of the church in Mexico, and about immigration and border concerns, so that we are equipped to be good neighbors and conversation partners with the people of our continent and the people in our own neighborhoods.
A committee is forming to give leadership to this process and will hold its next meeting on February 19 at 4:00 p.m. at the Regional office. Persons can participate remotely via Zoom. If you wish to be connected remotely contact Sandy Kincaid.
First Tuesday Fellowship
You're invited to join First Tuesday Fellowship on "Fat Tuesday" (March 5th) as we enjoy a delicious pancake breakfast at 11:45. Our business meeting begins at 11:15, breakfast is at 11:45, followed by a variety of music presented by Rich Stevens! Devotions will be provided by Chuck Robbins. Please bring your Weekend Back Pack Items and kick off Lent with FTF on March 5th!
If you or someone you know is in need of a caring Christian who will listen, encourage and support you confidentially as you journey towards wholeness, then contact our church office to be connected with a Stephen Minister (317) 784-4431. Learn more about Stephen Ministry
Children & Youth
Young people are an integral part of the ministry at Tapestry. Sunday School is offered each week at both services, as well as age appropriate activities and events throughout the year.
Disciples encourage one another in the spiritual disciplines or practices through which we open ourselves to be shaped by God. Those disciplines include prayer, Bible study, worship, stewardship, service, and study of the church's tradition and hospitality to strangers.
- Sunday School for Adults:
- "The Present Word" offered at 8:45 a.m. This is a facilitator led study on people in the Bible.
- Seekers: Middle school youth have the opportunity to learn about what it means to be a member of Tapestry Chuurch, a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a member of the Christian faith. The Seekers class allows an atmosphere of questioning and discernment to prepare participants in their decision to be baptized.
- Disciples II study on the books of Genesis, Exodus, Luke and Acts will be held on Monday evenings from 6:30-7:45pm beginning April 1, 2019. Each book is will be covered in six weeks. For more information please contact the church office (317)784-4431.
- Sunday School classes for pre-school through 5th grade are coordinated so all children learn the same lesson each week. Parents/guardians are sent resources to interact with the lesson during the week.
Serving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth is not just a slogan at Tapestry Church, it is a way of life. Our congregation actively supports a wide range of community, national and global outreach ministries:
- Midwest Food Bank: On the third Tuesday of the month Tapestry Church members and friends go to the food bank to sort, package and stock.
- Habitat for Humanity: This summer, Tapestry Church partnered with Habitat for Humanity in Johnson County. Fifteen volunteers worked on the roof, siding and painting for a new homeowner in Franklin, Indiana. We also provided breakfast and lunch for everyone working on the home.
- Week of Compassion works through a remarkable network of church partner organizations and partnerships that insures that our response to humanitarian needs in the world is efficient, effective and faithful. Through these partnerships, Disciples are able to join a tapestry of caring that brings help and hope to hurting people in every corner of the world. Each February Tapestry Church gives a special offering to support the work of Week of Compassion.
- The Social of Greenwood: Tapestry Church has a tradition of providing bags of groceries and other items to those who struggle to celebrate Thanksgiving. The Monday before Thanksgiving, an entire truck load was delivered to The Social's pantry which helped 40 people.
- KIC-IT: This organization provides a network of support and empowerment for youth to break the cycle of homelessness and promote independence. Tapestry Church donated its entire Christmas Eve offerings to KIC-IT and also donated baby items.
- The Refuge, which is located in Greenwood provides physical, emotional, academic and spiritual needs of Johnson County residents. Tapestry Church donated new toys to help parents provide Christmas gifts to their children.
Musicians of all ages are welcome to participate. We have opportunities available for the young to the young at heart. Vocalists and instrumentalists will find many ways to praise God through music.
Tapestry Adult Choir meets each Wednesday at Christ Our Shepherd Church of the Bretheren at 7:00 p.m.
Tapestry Church Handbell Choir meets each Monday evening at the church office beginning at 6:30 p.m. Contact Karri York, Director of Music for more information.