First Sunday of Advent - December 2
Traditionally Tapestry Church celebrates the first Sunday in Advent with a Hanging of the Greens ceremony to “deck the halls” and chancel area. As we have no walls to call our own, this year we’ll celebrate the season with festivities during our Sunday morning services on December 2nd.
At 9:00 am, we will have four activity stations: two for quiet reflection on this season of waiting and preparation and two hands-on experiences that educate and represent the Advent season. Participants will then come together for prayer and communion together.
At our 10:30 service, Tapestry Church’s Children’s Choir will lead worshippers into Advent with song. Our communion service will remind all of the true reason for the season. Food, Fun and Fellowship adds the “party” portion to the day by hosting a Tastings Party between services. Bring your favorite small bite appetizer or holiday dessert/snack to share with the Church. If you choose, bring a few copies of the recipe. We’re all looking for new holiday treats. We hope you’ll join us for this kick-off to the Advent season.
Sunday, December 9
Tapestry Chancel Choir and Ensemble will present "International Suite of Carols" by Mark Hayes during our traditional worship at 10:30 a.m.
First Tuesday Fellowship
Our annual Christmas Lucheon and Program will be held on December 4th at 11:15 a.m. at Friedens UCC. Reservations are $15 per person and must be received by Jane Kixmiller by Monday, November 26th. We have enjoyed meeting new friends at Friedens and have appreciated sharing their wonderful space!
If you or someone you know is in need of a caring Christian who will listen, encourage and support you confidentially as you journey towards wholeness, then contact our church office to be connected with a Stephen Minister (317) 784-4431. Learn more about Stephen Ministry
Children & Youth
Young people are an integral part of the ministry at SCC. Sunday School is offered each week at both services, as well as age appropriate activities and events throughout the year.
Disciples encourage one another in the spiritual disciplines or practices through which we open ourselves to be shaped by God. Those disciplines include prayer, Bible study, worship, stewardship, service, and study of the church's tradition and hospitality to strangers.
- Sunday School for Adults:
- "The Present Word" offered at 9:00 a.m. This is a facilitator led study on people in the Bible.
- "The Bible at 30,000 Feet" offered at 9:00 a.m. This is a DVD study of each book in the Bible.
- Seekers: Middle school youth have the opportunity to learn about what it means to be a member of SCC, a member of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and a member of the Christian faith. The Seekers class allows an atmosphere of questioning and discernment to prepare participants in their decision to be baptized.
- Disciples II Fast Track: An in depth Bible study on the book of Genesis. Monday evenings from 6:30-7:45pm January 7, 14, 21, and 28. Another Fast Track study on the book of Exodus will be held on Monday evenings from 6:30-7:45pm on February 4, 11, and 18. For information on either of these classes, please contact the church office (317)784-4431.
- Sunday School classes for pre-school through 12th grade are coordinated so all children learn the same lesson each week. Parents/guardians are sent resources to interact with the lesson during the week.
- Festive Food: Facilitated by Bruce Fudge on Monday, December 10th at 6:30pm.
- Effective Parenting: Facilitated by Nina Eads and Paula Peterson on Tuesday evenings February 5, 12, 19, and 26.
Serving from our doorsteps to the ends of the earth is not just a slogan at Tapestry Church, it is a way of life. Our congregation actively supports a wide range of community, national and global outreach ministries:
- Habitat for Humanity: This summer, Tapestry Church partnered with Habitat for Humanity in Johnson County. Fifteen volunteers worked on the roof, siding and painting for a new homeowner in Franklin, Indiana. We also provided breakfast and lunch for everyone working on the home.
- Week of Compassion works through a remarkable network of church partner organizations and partnerships that insures that our response to humanitarian needs in the world is efficient, effective and faithful. Through these partnerships, Disciples are able to join a tapestry of caring that brings help and hope to hurting people in every corner of the world.
Musicians of all ages are welcome to participate. We have opportunities available for the young to the young at heart. Vocalists and instrumentalists will find many ways to praise God through music.
Tapestry Adult Choir meets each Wednesday at Christ Our Shepherd Church of the Bretheren at 7:00 p.m.
Tapestry Church Handbell Choir meets each Monday evening at the church office beginning at 6:30 p.m. Contact Karri York, Director of Music for more information.
On Sunday, April 30th, our choir and band presented, "Gospel Mass" by Robert Ray. Listen